Nuwu Pasats Speaker Series
- Date & Time: Saturday, Feb. 24, 2024, from 4 to 6 p.m. Optional tour of Nuwu Pasats from 3 to 3:45 p.m.
- Location: Springs Preserve
- Admission: FREE. Max of 4 tickets per registrant.
- RSVP: Reservations are required. Limited seating available.
The Nuwu Pasats (Southern Paiute Garden) Speaker Series provides a space for Indigenous Knowledge Givers to share their cultural lifeways and experience with the greater community. Emphasizing sustainable relationships with water, plants, and the landscape, the speaker series creates an opportunity for collaborative, community-based learning that inspires guests to think differently about their relationships with nature.
Generously funded by San Manuel Gaming and Hospitality Authority, the Speaker Series will feature a diverse list of esteemed Indigenous guest speakers. Check back soon for additional speaking engagements to be announced throughout the year.
Water Is Life: The Reason We Are Still Here
Saturday, Feb. 24, 2024, from 4 to 6 p.m.*
Guest Speaker: Melanie Smokey
Melanie Smokey's mother is a descendant of Chief Kawich of the Western Shoshone. Her grandparents, Art and Alice Hooper, were instrumental in establishing the Yomba Shoshone Tribe. Melanie attended the Indian Tribal & Educational Personnel Program at Humboldt State University, then moved to the Tahoe area to get to know her Washoe side. She enjoys the West and her homeland in the Great Basin.
*Speaking events will start with an optional tour of the Preserve's Nuwu Pasats (Southern Paiute Garden), a one-acre specialty garden located within the Preserve's larger Botanical Garden; followed by the one-hour speaker's program, and a speaker's reception.
- 3 p.m. Optional tour of Nuwu Pasats located in the Preserve's Botanical Garden (.8 mile round trip walk from Preserve entrance). The tour will end by 3:45 p.m. to allow guests time to make their way to the Speaker's program.
- 4 p.m. Speaker's Program (prompt start) located in the Big Springs Theater within the Origen Museum
- 5 p.m. Speaker's Reception located in the rotunda of the Origen Museum
- 6 p.m. Event ends